Saturday, March 22, 2014

31 Days of Decluttering - Day #2 - Toiletries

For those of you who missed my first post in this series, check it out here.  


(From Overwhelmed to Organized)

I actually started this after I finished Day #1 (the sock drawer) because I knew this one would take me a while and it did - over 3 hours!  After all, I didn't name this blog "Product Junkie in the City" for no reason!

First, let's define "toiletries".  We're talking about toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, mouthwash, hairspray, mousse, gel, feminine products, etc.  

Here's the "before" photos:



Here's today's game plan:
  • Gather all your toiletries in one place (this includes those from all bathtubs/showers as well as any cupboards, drawers, and closets they may be in throughout your house)
For me, Step #1 (gathering everything together) took a bit!  There were products all over the bedroom, spare bedroom, office, etc.  I had recently cleaned out (or so I thought) the hall closet, so I just left what was in there where it was and began the purging process.
  • Throw away any products that are expired or old - Did that!  All of this (see below) ended up in the trash!
  • Throw away (or re-package) any items that are leaking - Did that!
  • Relocate everything that doesn't belong with your toiletries - For me, meant cleaning out the vanity drawers.  I created a "ladies drawer" of feminine products (you would be impressed with how organized it is, but I'll spare you the photo).  Here's the 2nd drawer though that became home for my curling irons, flat iron, random samples, glasses cases, etc.
  • Combine partially used bottles of products that you want to keep using - Did that!
  • Give away items that you have not used in over 6 months (or whatever time period is reasonable to you) - I earmarked items for people who I know would enjoy them and put the rest of the items into an eBay pile.
  • Donate items that you know you don't like (e.g. lotions that were gifts but you prefer a different brand).  By the way, shelters are great places to donate toiletries!  - Did that too!
  • Give away products that you no longer need (e.g. leftover baby shampoo that your kids are too big for now)  NOTE:  I have baby shampoo that I've used to give the cats baths (yep, visualize that disaster) and wouldn't throw it away if I didn't have them anymore.  I'd use it on my own hair.  (And probably cause my hair stylist to freak out, but that's OK).  :)
  • After all that, consider how much space you have in your home to keep your toiletries in.  Based on the available space, decide if you still need to purge further.  I cut it as close as I could, then started pitching things.  See how tight these bottles are in my hall closet?

Now the hall closet is organized as follows:

Top Shelf - lotions on the left, perfume/sprays on the right
Middle Shelf - shower scrubs on the left, shower gels on the right and in the middle (and they're all grouped by scent)
Bottom shelf - hair products on the left, contact solution and hubby's products on the right

Here are a few additional notes from the website/blog (check out fromoverwhelmedtoorganized's Day #2 Blog entry here):
  1. Everything has a cost associated with it, even free things!  So decide whether the cost of storing free products is worth it if you're not using them up regularly (e.g. free samples of face creams or shampoo or body wash that you get in the mail, free dental floss or toothpaste samples you get from your dentist, and all those free bottles from hotels).  If you want to use these items, then store them somewhere that you'll actually use them and don't buy new products until you've used them up.  Otherwise you never will.
  2. If you're not sure if you've used some items recently or not, put them in a basket and mark today's date on it (just write on a piece of tape or a sticker or even on the label of one of the products).  If you use an item, take it out of the basket and put it back with the rest of your toiletries.  If you haven't used the items in the basket by a certain date (a month, 3 months, etc.), then give them away.  
  3. If you think you still want to keep something but you know you haven't used it in quite awhile, ask yourself why you haven't used it.  Did you not like the scent?  Did it not work as well as another product?  Let the answers to these questions guide your decision to keep it or give it away.
Last but not least - the bathroom vanity (and yes, the sink is cleaned off):


I put everything we actively use (or I want myself to use up) in there.  I even got my make-up bag to fit in the vanity!  (It's the small things that impress me).  

The best part of doing this - now I know what I have and what I don't need to buy (like the bottle of conditioner I just bought b/c I didn't realize I already had some in the hall closet).  I'm also putting a ban on buying any shower gel until at least January of next year.  What I have takes up almost the entire 2nd shelf of the hall closet.  And 2 EOS balls (those orange and pink things in the vanity) are enough!  I love them, but I have more chapsticks/lip glosses than I know what to do with!  No more until I use some of what I have up (which reminds me that I need to cancel my IPSY subscription until I use some of the make-up I have up too).  This little exercise will save me money in the long run because I won't be buying duplicates.  Who-hoo!!

How did your toiletries clean out go (and how long is it taking everyone else)?  I'd love to hear how it's going for you!

Side Note:  On Day #3, Hilda (the blogger) posted the following - "Note: The main purpose of this series is to declutter so don't get overwhelmed doing too much cleaning.  Once your house is less cluttered it will be easier to clean so you can always come back and do it later!

Also, if you have the time, you can organize the space while you're doing this step, but don't get overwhelmed with too much organizing this month.  We're focused on decluttering!"

Oops!  Turns out, each one of these exercises is only supposed to take 10-15 minutes. But, I figure while I'm going thru the stuff, I might as well organize it.  That's just my preference though.  Please do whatever you feel comfortable with/have time for.

XOXO,
Stephanie

PS - Next up for Day #3 - Junk Drawer

No comments:

Post a Comment