Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Beauty of Silence

A crazy thing happened last night as I sat down to write my blog - there was silence!  The husband was out of town for business, I accidentally left my cell phone at work on my desk, and as I sat and wrote my confessional (err - I mean blog), I noticed it - SILENCE!!  AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I don't know what type of situation you have, but with my work especially, I am around people all day long.  A big part of my job is customer-service based, which means doing presentations, holding staff meetings, the phone ringing non-stop, people coming in and out of my office, and multi-tasking like my tail is on fire.  I thrive in that environment and definitely feel I'm at my best when the pressure is on.  As a naturally shy person/introverted person though, I love just having time to myself to think, and well, exhale.....

Before I met my husband, I didn't have cable and wasn't big into TV.  I used to take long baths several times a week after work or read a book or magazine when I got home.  That was my time to relax and clear my head.  Once we met, I stopped doing that (mostly b/c the hubs has golfer feet and I was too lazy to scrub the tub each time I wanted to take a bath).  We got cable and I became addicted to these reality shows (Real Housewives of Every County in America or the E Channel anyone??) when he isn't home and to watching sports or the History or Discovery Channel when he is.  There's 3 cats running around wrestling and wanting held and petted, and there's another person living in my house who, gasp, likes to talk and know how my day was, etc.  

My point being - silence is a luxury that is often fleeting.  I often find myself watching mindless TV in order to drown out my stress so I don't have to think about things, rather than tuning in to how I'm feeling and finding solutions on how to fix things.  For me, this happens best when I can think clearly and when there's silence.

So, last night I soaked in the beauty of the silence around me (and thanked the good Lord for the chaos and blessings of today).....

No comments:

Post a Comment