Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Review of the September 2012 BIG PINK BOX


This is my review of the September 2012 Big Pink Box.  This is a new subscription box that just began this month.  I was excited to try it out because BPB features products from companies owned by women.  Plus, the feature company, Spectrum Cosmetics, donates a portion of the proceeds (30%) from sales to Autism Research and Education.

The "Stats" - 

Frequency:  100 boxes are available each month on a first-come, first-serve basis.  Subscriptions are available at the following terms - 1 month (non-renewing) or 3 months (non-renewing after the 3rd month).  I personally am signed up for one month just to test it out.  

Cost:  $25.00/month (shipping is free) for both subscription types

Products:  5+ sample and/or full-size products from each of the companies selected to participate monthly.  The website does have a tab that says "Our Companies" which will take you directly to the participating company's website so you can get an idea of what type of products you may receive.  In addition, subscribers will receive products from Spectrum Cosmetics each month as well.

Here's what my September 2012 Big Pink Box looked like:



First impression:  "Wow!  This box looks stuffed full of goodies!"


Here's a look at all the products that were in the box:


This box included:  (Retail Values are listed for the size actually received in the box, not the full-sized product unless that's what they sent in the box).

The Products: 
1.  Only for You Boutique Shirt - RV $31.99 (estimated)
2.  Bubble Babez - 1 Heart-Shaped Bath Truffle - RV $3.00
3.  A Rose Closet - Leopard/Dark Red Hair Bow - RV $10.00
4.  The Vanity Company - 1 Key Chain - RV $1.00 (estimated)
5.  "Body" by Brown Roque Breast Cancer Soap - RV $5.00 (estimated)
6.  I Love Nails - I package of Nail Glitter - RV $3.00 (estimated)
7. & 8.  Spectrum - 2 Loose Eye Shadow Pigments - RV $10.66 (estimated) for both pigments

TOTAL VALUE of the products I received:  $64.65 (estimated)
MY COST:  $25.00

A closer look at the Products:



1.  Only for You Boutique Shirt - (3 stars) - This shirt is really cute!  It's wrinkly from being in the box, but it's actually something I'd wear pretty frequently IF the size was right.  BPB doesn't ask for your size and I received a Size Medium.  Unfortunately, I wear an XL in shirts.  So, I can't wear this shirt right now.  (Which makes it's value to me $0).  If I received a size that fit, I would've given it 5 stars, but since I can't wear it, it gets a neutral 3 stars. 



2.  Bubble Babez - 1 Heart-Shaped Bath Truffle - (NYR - Not Yet Rated) - I will update this blog once I have the chance to test this out.
3.  A Rose Closet - Leopard/Dark Red Hair Bow - (4 stars) - This bow is really cute and if I had a little girl, I would LOVE it!  It's well-made and very on-trend.  However, I don't have kids.  I'm still debating if this is something a 35-year old can put with a pony tale, but I'm doubting it.  



4.  The Vanity Company - Clear Key Chain (far right of the photo above) - (1 star) - I wasn't impressed with this at all!  And the company doesn't even sell key chains.  I expected things these companies actually sell.  I was really disappointed with this one!



5.  "Body" by Brown Roque Breast Cancer Soap - (1 star) - I have to be honest, when I saw this I spent a good minute or so just trying to figure out what it was.  I didn't know if it was dyed white chocolate or soap or what it was.  Turns out, it was soap.  It also wasn't labeled at all.  Only by process of elimination did I figure out what company it was from.  I ended up giving this away for free as part of a Listia auction.
6.  I Love Nails - I package of Nail Glitter - (1 star) - This product says it has to be combined with acrylic nail powder.  Unfortunately, I don't wear acrylic nails and I'm not going to buy the powder just to use this glitter.  Another product I can't use.  This ended up going straight to Listia.



7. & 8.  Spectrum - 2 Loose Eye Shadow Pigments in "Milk Punch" (the white) and "Spending Pink Coin" (the pink) - (5 stars) - I am completely in love with these shadows!  When I first saw the colors, I was nervous that they might be too bright.  However, they go on soft and light.  You can layer them on darker to get more pigment, but I found just a few swipes were perfect to wear for work.  I would definitely recommend these to everyone!  

The final verdict:  2 stars!!  I loved the 2 Spectrum eye shadow pigments, but other than that, these were not products I would buy/use.  If the shirt had fit, I would've probably given the box 4 stars because that would've at least gotten me my $25 worth that I paid for it, but it didn't.  I basically paid $25 for $10 worth of eye shadow pigment.  In BPB's defense, this was their first box and they are still accepting applications for participating companies.  I am not going to get the November box, but will check back in December to see what new companies have become part of their program.  If I like the companies, I may consider getting this box again in the future.  After all, I do love supporting women-owned companies and I love that a portion of Spectrum's proceeds go to Autism Research.  As of right now though, I will spend my $25/mo elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment