Sunday, July 6, 2014

Spending Freeze - Life AFTER the Big Garage Sale

If you read my post "The Price of Happiness", you know that I recently took a much lower paying job.  In preparation for this change (and to pay off some debt), my mom and I decided to have a joint garage sale.  (We're averaging one every 3-5 years since I was little).  Unlike the last garage sale we had 3 years ago where I took over 30 boxes of stuff up to my mom's to sell, this time we pulled it together in just over 2 weeks and I took about 9 five-gallon totes of things to get rid of.


After 3 days of sitting in the hot garage with my mamma (who is QUITE the saleswoman by the way), we got rid of about 3/4 of what we had put out to sell.  Once again, we also vowed to curb our spending habits.  (Though I've gotten much better since the last garage sale, there's still room for improvement).  

With that and inspiration from my best friend, Shayla, (who has gone nearly 2 years and only bought clothes with Christmas/Birthday money and/or clothing essentials) in mind, I'm going to try to do a 30-day clothing spending freeze and see how I do.  I already put myself on a Bath and Body Works spending freeze starting in January 2014 and have done great on it.  I've been using up what I already have in the cupboard and haven't bought any new. Yeah!  Go me!! (Dave Ramsey of the Total Money Makeover would be proud)!

Action Steps:
Step 1:  Don't spend any money on clothes until after 8/5/14.  (Stitch Fix #8 - you just got pushed back baby).
Step 2:  Take inventory of what I already have.  I know there's clothes/shoes in my closet that I've never even worn (and have forgotten are even in there).
Step 3:  Donate or sell what doesn't fit or what I won't wear.
Step 4:  Be accountable on my blog.  I'll post an update every few days (hopefully more often) and let you know how it's going.

Feel free to follow along and do this with me.  Changing habits is hard, so accountability partners are great to have!


(Mom - this last garage sale picture is for you).  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment