Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Review of the SEPTEMBER 2012 NEW BEAUTY TEST TUBE

As I mentioned in my last post, I've recently discovered beauty boxes/subscription services.  This is my review of one of them I mentioned I signed up for:  "New Beauty Test Tube" September 2012 Box.

The "Stats" - 

Frequency:  Quarterly Box (mails in September, December, March, and June).  The first box they send you will be the most recent one that came out.  You'll then be on the regular shipping cycle after that.

Cost:  $29.95 + $8.95 shipping per quarter ($38.90 total).  This may sound like a lot for shipping, but it's really not.  They send the box via UPS and this one weighed 4 pounds!!

Products:  Deluxe and full-sized samples of beauty products from the hottest brands.  You also get the New Beauty Magazine in the box, which covers "all the latest breakthroughs in beauty, product innovations, celebrity beauty secrets, and more".

Here's what my September 2012 Beauty Test Tube looked like:



It comes in a cute, pink box with yes, a big tube inside (which holds all the products that will fit in there).  Here's a look at all the products that were in the box total:


First impression - "Wow!  That's a lot of product stuffed into that little tube!"  The website showed I would get 8 products plus the magazine, so that's what I was expecting.  However, as you can see, the tube also included extras, which I LOVE!!!

This box included:  (Retail Values are listed for the size actually received in the box, not the full-sized product unless that's what they sent in the box)

The "Regular" Products:
Lumene Time Freeze Firming Night Cream - .5 fl oz - RV $6.47
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Serum - 1 fl oz (FULL SIZE) - RV $19.99
It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In (Conditioner) Plus Keratin - 2 fl oz - RV $10.00
Olay Pro-X Clear Complexion Renewing Lotion - .24 fl oz - RV $1.34
Neutrogena Brightening Eye Perfector - .17 oz (FULL SIZE) - RV 13.99
Hydroxatone Instant Effect 90-second Wrinkle Reducer - .3 fl oz total (15 packets of .02 product) - RV $54.55
Mally High Shine Liquid Lipstick - .12 oz (FULL SIZE) - RV $20.00
SpaLook Special Offers - $10 off $60, $25 off $125, and $50 off $200 purchase (I'm not assessing these a retail value unless I actually end up using them to buy anything off the website)
New Beauty Magazine - Summer/Fall edition - RV $9.95

The "Extras":
Babor HSR High Skin Refiner - (size not noted on product, but I'm estimating it's .17 fl oz) - RV $24.66 (no, that's not a typo)
AHAVA Essential Day Moisturizer - .51 fl oz - RV $11.85
Kerstin Florian Oil-Free Daily Defense SPF 50 - RV 22.64
Lash Food Eyelash Conditioner - .05 fl oz - RV $24.00

TOTAL VALUE of the products I received:  $219.77
MY COST:  $38.90

A fabulous feature of the test tube - it includes an informational booklet that tells you all about each of the "regular" products in the tube.  The information includes a description of the product, the company that makes it, how to use the product, how much the full-sized version costs, and benefits of using each product.  I love the booklet!  It's very helpful!!

A closer look at the "Regular" Products:




1.  Lumene Time Freeze Firming Night Cream - (Stars - TBD) -  Bottle states it "delivers a firming effect to the skin to help prevent fine lines and other signs of aging".  I haven't tried this yet, but I'll update this post when I do.  I quickly got hung up on the Neutrogena product listed next :).
2.  Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Serum - (5 stars) - I was very excited to try this product!  I used Neutrogena products years ago, and was a fan of their line.  The booklet says "Delivering wrinkle-minimizing and skin-brightening retinol.  This lightweight, fast-acting serum absorbs into skin to leave it feeling instantly smoother".  This was the first product from the tube that I went for to apply!  It has a wonderful scent to it, a lightweight texture (as advertised), and it definitely absorbed quickly.  And yes, it does make my skin feel smoother. I will DEFINITELY continue to use this product!  It came in a full-sized tube too, so it should last me quite a while (considering you only have to apply a pearl-sized amount on your entire face).
3.  It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In (Conditioner) Plus Keratin - (5 stars) - I've been wanting to try a leave-in conditioner, but was afraid to fearing it would make my hair look/feel oily.  I applied this product on my freshly washed hair this morning and then proceeded to blow-dry.  I must admit, I'm very impressed with the results!!
    Normally my hair (which is highlighted) looks dry and out of control (wierd kinks, fluffy, unruly) once I'm done blow-drying it.  That was not the case at all with this product in my hair!  With one brush thru my hair, it looked shiny, felt soft, and was (remarkably) under control.  No more crazy morning work hair for me!!  (I might even wear it down some now).  The only thing I didn't like about it was the smell - musty and cosmetic-y.  Fortunately, I spritz a spray of perfume in my hair in the morning, so that will cover that.  I'm hooked on this product!!
4.  Olay Pro-X Clear Complexion Renewing Lotion - (4 stars) - The tube says it will help with the appearance of acne, enlarged pores (which I definitely have on my nose), and uneven texture.  I was pleasantly surprised by this product!  It really did reduce the size of the pores on my nose.  It made the skin around my nose break out a bit though, so I haven't applied it all over my face.  
5.  Neutrogena Brightening Eye Perfector - (DNT - Did Not Test) -  I appreciate this full-sized product being sent.  The packaging states it will "instantly brighten, smooth, and enhance the entire area for an even-toned, well-rested look.  Silky formula evens skin tone and conceals dark circles".  Unfortunately, I have 2 fine lines under my eyes that won't let concealer penetrate them.  (Literally, I end up with stripes under my eyes - ones with the concealer color and ones with my natural skin color).  Thankfully, I don't have dark circles (just those pesky lines).  Therefore, this product is going straight to Listia for someone who can use it :).   
6.  Hydroxatone Instant Effect 90-second Wrinkle Reducer - (1 star) - This product is proof that more expensive (nearly $55 for the sample they sent) doesn't necessarily equal higher quality!  The box says it's a "Fast-working firming serum that temporarily reduces the appearance of crow's feet, fine lines, wrinkles, and under-eye bags".  So I'm thinking "Cool!  Maybe it will take away those fine lines noted in the product #5 review".  I read the directions though and it said to "keep face completely still and avoid making facial expressions as the serum dries".  Hmmm!  Kind of scary.  
    So, I opened the package and began this little experiment...  First of all, there's way too much product in the .02 fl oz packet for one use.  Which means you either waste it, or you try to fold it up and use it again (which is a pain).  The texture of the product is globby.  It feels like you have one of those skin masks on.  (You know how your face gets hard and you can feel the product on your face)?  Within 2 minutes, it dried my cheeks and chin area out (I have combination, sensitive skin) and my skin began to flake.  It did make my forehead appear smoother and reduced the appearance of the wrinkles up there, but the fine lines under my eyes still showed and, well, the lower part of my face was flaking off.  Not worth keeping this product on!  I quickly washed it off and tried to solve the cheek/chin issue.  Off to Listia this goes too!  
7.  Mally High Shine Liquid Lipstick - (4 stars) - I raised the star rating on this one after using it for a few weeks.  Again, I appreciate the full-sized product!  The color they sent me is called "Just Heaven".  It's a really light salmon-pink color.  Overall, I like this product and will definitely use it.  The texture is lightweight overall.  It definitely makes my lips shine (which supports it's name), but provides little/no color.  Since I haven't been big into the "lipstick" look lately (I'm in a gloss mood right now), I like this.  I wouldn't necessarily go buy it, but I'll definitely use up this tube!      
8.  SpaLook Special Offers - (3 stars) - I'm neutral on these.  Since you can only use them if you spend at least $60, I doubt I'll use them.  They have to be used by 9/30/12 and since I just placed an order thru Sephora yesterday so I could get my 500-point perk, I don't plan on spending another $60 on make-up by then.
9.  New Beauty Magazine - Summer/Fall edition - (3 stars) - Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE magazines!  So, I was excited to read a new one.  I'm about half-way thru (it's Vogue-thick).  There are some nice articles, but also A LOT of advertising.  This issue focused a lot on anti-aging products/procedures, so now I'm absolutely convinced I need an eyelid and eyebrow lift, a chin lift, and those pesky under-eye lines eradicated somehow!  (Hubby got pissed at the notion I would alter what God gave me, but I'm dead-set on the eyelid and eyebrow lift.  I'll start saving my $ now and maybe in 10 years I'll be able to afford it).

Now onto the "Extra's":

10.  Babor HSR High Skin Refiner - (2 stars) - Again, expensive, but not really effective!  This is a German product.  The box claims "this anti-wrinkle cream...improves elasticity with long-lasting effect and helps to preserve collagen fibers.  Skin elasticity is demonstrably improved and the depth of the fine lines and wrinkles is visibly reduced".   When I took the lid off to smell it, a little bit squirted out.  I applied that portion under my eyes.  Those lines still look exactly the same.  The product does smell good though.  Regardless, off to Listia you go!
11.  AHAVA Essential Day Moisturizer - (DNT) - The kind they sent me says it's for "normal to dry skin".  Since mine is combination, this is going straight to Listia.  I can tell you it smells good though - like baby lotion.
12.  Kerstin Florian Oil-Free Daily Defense - (3.5 stars) - The size of this bottle is great!  There's plenty of product in here to test!  Unfortunately, I'm not much of a sunscreen person (my foundation and moisturizer contain it already and unless I'm out in the sun, I'm not going to apply more of it).  For the sake of this blog though, I tried it.  It has a nice smell, but it still felt like sunscreen (heavy) on my face.  I left it on for a few hours, but then washed it off.  This is is headed to Listia too!
13.  Lash Food Eyelash Conditioner - (4 stars) - I'll be honest, when I first opened this, I thought it was empty.  The application brush is so thin, you can barely tell there's product on it (picture me swiping it over my hand about a dozen times to feel for moisture).  Finally, I decided to smell it and affirmed there was product in the bottle :).
     I applied it along my lash line (there were no directions, so I hope that was what I was supposed to do).  I felt the moisturizing effect and it was nice.  According to their website, it will "provide the appearance of longer, thicker lashes and transform frail and brittle lashes to become healthy and strong.  Enjoy visibly different, stunning lashes in 3-6 weeks".  I wouldn't say my eyelashes are "brittle", but I would like them to be longer and thicker, so I'll try it.


The final verdict:  4 stars!!  I LOVED the fact there were 3 full-sized products in here!!  The two alone that I'm keeping pay for this box!  There were some hits and misses, but I thoroughly enjoyed trying EVERYTHING out!  Considering I received $219.77 worth of product and only paid $38.90, I'm a happy camper!!  I look forward to receiving my next NBTT box in December!  PJITC and Kitty approved!




Side note -  I was so happy with this NBTT that I ordered the QVC version too (that was advertised in the New Beauty Magazine of course).  Check back for a future review of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment