Sunday, October 18, 2015

Becoming Minimalist - My End-Vision Isn't Happening Fast Enough!

The goal I set for this week was simple:  Purge 69 items and go thru my utensils drawer in my kitchen and see what I really use/can purge.

Saturday - Day #85

At my husband's urging, I finally caved and went to Urgent Care for this cold.  Despite my best efforts to use Rx I had in my cupboard and avoid going to the doctor (and paying the $55 co-pay), this thing just wasn't going away.  Turns out the root of it is allergies (ragweed specifically).  Oh the joys of living in the Midwest!  The doctor gave me an antibiotic and some allergy Rx to take and said I should feel better in a few days.  Note to self - next time - just spend the money and go the doctor and avoid two weeks of misery!

On the bright side - it was a full day of college football, followed by play-off baseball.  (My husband was born in St. Louis, so we're huge Cardinals fans).  Sadly, the Cards lost.



While watching football, I did begin my drawer project.  Here is the "before" of what it looked like.  As you can see, it's full of spatulas, whisks, measuring cups and spoons, etc.  Realistically, I think I use most of what's in here.  It's just such a cluttered mess though.  



I ended up taking everything utensil-wise out of the drawer and putting it into this box.  Over the course of the next month, I'll put items I actually use when I cook back into the drawer and then purge most of what's left.



Speaking of cooking, I forgot to pause my Hello Fresh shipment for the week, so ingredients for three recipes arrived at my doorstep last Wednesday.  One of the recipes was for Coriander & Cumin-Crusted Chicken with Israeli Couscous Salad, Roasted Zucchini, and Caramelized Lemon). Since I knew I wouldn't eat roasted zucchini by itself, I decided to make zucchini bread for the first time ever using a recipe I found on the Internet.


   
It turned out so delicious that my husband didn't believe me when I said I made it from scratch!  Now we have breakfast for the next week or so, which will save me from stopping at McDonald's on the way to work this week.  I'm going to use up some pumpkin spice coffee I have in the cupboard to go along with it too!

PURCHASE - I did end up buying two new bras today since my bra I'm wearing now is falling apart (literally) and I never replaced my black bra a few months ago when it fell apart.  Buying an ivory one to replace the ivory one that fell apart would've been more practical, but ivory and black are just so boring.  With winter and heavier fabrics on the horizon, I figured I can get away with a prettier, colorful bra for a while.  Total spent - $75.00.  



Sunday - Day #86

As I look around my house, I'm getting impatient.  I want there to be less of everything.  However, since I didn't want to just throw away things that can be used (ex - candles, packaging supplies to ship eBay items, shower gel, food, etc.), this process is taking time.  Even walking into my closet is irritating me.  I have items I love to wear that I want to wear out just so I can eliminate them.  How messed up is that!?!  Maybe I'm just in a funk because I haven't felt well or maybe I have just finally disconnected from my "stuff".  I'm not sure which.  What I am sure of is that over the past three months, my attitude/lifestyle has definitely changed.  Spending time with my friends and family and enjoying cool experiences (like the Colts game last week) are what makes me happy, not sitting in my house full of possessions and admiring what I've acquired.  It's taken 38 years, but I feel like I'm finally starting to live my life the right way and that feels GREAT!      

Monday thru Thursday - Days #87 - #90


It was also a week full of meetings for me at work.  It also got much colder this week (some days down in the 60's), so heavier clothes were in order.  You may notice the mint sweater I wore on Thursday.  It was one I was going to return to the Limited, but ended up wearing instead.    

Friday - Day #91


Casual Friday - I had a meeting at the office, but still wanted to show my team spirit, so this scarf was perfect.  

So far, my Fall capsule wardrobe includes the following:

1.  White 3/4 sleeve top
2.  Goldenrod yellow short sleeve sweater
3.  Burnt orange sleeveless top 
4.  Burnt orange cardigan
5.  Magenta split-back long sleeve top
6.  Maroon/navy/white sleeveless print top
7.  Maroon short sleeve sweater top
8.  Mint/charcoal grey sweater
9.  Black/grey/toffee long sleeve top 
10.  Off-White skinny jeans
11.  Teal jeans
12.  Grey jeans
13.  Black dress pants
14.  Black skinny jeans
15.  Taupe flats
16.  Brown tall boots
17.  Grey Toms
18.  Black flats
19.  Lia Sophia beveled paprika red necklace
20.  Lia Sophia grey/clear crystal Stanton earrings
21.  Lia Sophia beaded Savannah necklace
22.  Lia Sophia acorn earrings
23.  Lia Sophia Christina's Joy necklace
24.  Lia Sophia Crystals and Cream necklace
25.  Lia Sophia Wisp necklace
26.  Lia Sophia Posey earrings 
27.  Rose gold colored watch
28.  Lia Sophia grey/crystal Astoria necklace
29.  Lia Sophia Flapper necklace
30.  Lia Sophia Coy earrings

As I mentioned previously, I'm week building it as I go, so I'll add to the list as I wear new pieces.  I'm also not limiting myself to just 33 pieces.  I am a jewelry lover, so for me, staying in the 45-50 piece range (jewelry included) is more feasible.  

Totals for this Week:  This week was a tougher one for me purging-wise just because I worked about 50 hours.  By the time I got home, I was really tired and just wanted to rest.  I purged 70 items total, which once again, barely met my goal.

Current Inventory - 10,278

Items Purged - 2994
Items Donated - 1320
Items Used - 693
Items Sold/Returned - 87 
TOTAL ITEMS ELIMINATED = 5094

(10278/15372) = 33.13% of items inventoried have been eliminated so far

Next week's goal:   Eliminate another 69 items 

Want to receive automatic notifications of new blog posts?  Subscribe to my blog by entering your e-mail address to the right.  It's that easy!  :)  Happy decluttering!

XOXO,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment