Tuesday, November 10, 2015

BECOMING MINIMALIST - Passing the 100 Day Mark!

It's been a while since I posted an update.  There are some changes going on that I'll fill you in on in a few short weeks.  (Nothing bad I promise).  So, this time it's a 3-week update.  

The goal I set for each week was simple:  Purge 69 items 

Week #14:
Saturday - Day #92

My parents came down today and we spent the day fixing things around the house.  My dad builds houses for a living and I could wander around Lowe's all day long, so I was excited to follow my dad around learning how to fix things.  He fixed the garbage disposal (which officially blew up a few weeks back), replaced the water filter that cracked/sprayed water all over the basement a few weeks ago, showed me how to pull down the vent in the bathroom so I could clean it, and together, we replaced 9 rotten deck boards.  The deck project was hard work, but it was nice to spend time with my dad and feel like I was able to help him.  



My parents also brought my childhood dresser down for my husband and I to use.  We haven't had a dresser since we moved into our house.  In fact, a TV/stand used to sit where the dresser is now.  The TV is one of those old, huge ones with the big back on it that we rarely watched.   So, it was out with the TV and in with the dresser.  Since our closets aren't huge, it's great to have a bit more space to put our clothes in.  The dresser makes the room feel more like a bedroom too.  My dad spray painted it white and changed out the knobs.  Now it's perfect for what we need!  

This Week:

This week was a strange week!  The weather was all over the place (low 60's on Monday and high 70's by Friday).  Work was bananas!  I was so sore from helping lug boards up onto the deck on Saturday that from Sunday through Tuesday, I could barely walk because my muscles were so tight.  Plus, I was just in a funky mood all week.  By the time I sat down and inputted my purging into my tracking Friday morning, I had only purged 13 items.  Eeek!


Here's a glimpse of some of this week's outfits.  The grey sweater I had planned on returning ended up staying because it matched my Monday funky mood perfectly.  I added my Origami Owl locket that had charms for all the important people in my life/folks I'm thankful for to remind me how blessed I truly am.  Wednesday my co-worker and I walked around various towns passing out flyers to recruit staff, so they grey/off-white striped top was the perfect comfy attire.  "Casual Friday" brought out my comfortable deep red top that is basically my adult "woobie" (aka - that piece of soft clothing that makes you feel better when you wear it and is an old, faithful piece).  As you can see, my Toms were the rock star this week.  I wore them 4/5 days.  

Totals for this Week:  This week was a tougher one for me purging-wise for two reasons:  1.  I worked about 50 hours and 2. I was in a funk all week and by the time I got home, I was really tired and just wanted to rest.  Since I didn't meet my purging goal for this week (I only purged 23 items), I decided to combine weeks #14 and #15.  Instead of purging 69 items total, the goal for the two week period has become 138.

Week #15:

I was determined to break out of this funk!  I figured the best way to do it was to push myself to be active rather than just lay on the couch.  Eventually, something will happen to brighten my attitude.  To kick start things, I decided to make some "mini goals" for the day.  I do this at work all the time and write down a list of 5 things I want to accomplish for the day.  I don't leave work until all of those things are done.  

Here's a sample of Saturday's "Top 5":

1.  Change the kitty litter - COMPLETED
2.  Unload/load the dishwasher - COMPLETED - this lead to me doing a deep bleach cleaning, followed by a white vinegar & baking soda cleaning on the dishwasher and taking the filter/washer blade apart/cleaning it.  Gross!
3.  Clean off the table beside the couch - COMPLETED
4.  Laundry - at least 3 loads - COMPLETED
5.  Find my receipt from the Limited so I can return the clothes I'm not keeping - COMPLETED



On Saturday, my husband and I also decided to go to Costco.  We've only been there twice since we got our membership and decided it was time to use it.  Costco is a nightmare for my inventory numbers (hello 36-roll pack of toilet paper), but a blessing budget-wise!  Our plan is to take the food we bought to work for lunch and to eat at home rather than eating out every day.  It should save us a lot of $.  Last week I spent approx. $102.32 on lunch/ordering pizza for dinner.  We spent $16.47 on this freshly made pot pie that's the size of an oven pizza and will get at least 6-8 servings out of it.  Yes, that means we're going to each eat 3-4 meals of pot pie over the next few days, but it tastes yummy, so we'll be OK.  

Sunday - Day #100

I can't believe I've been on this downsizing mission for 100 days!  It seems like I've been doing it forever and it's only been a little over 3 months.  In the past 100 days, I have purged over 5000 items from our home.  Who-hoo!

This week I returned the clothes to The Limited that I ordered and either didn't like or changed my mind on.  I absolutely hate going to the mall, so this is one I've been putting off for weeks.  However, it saved me $268.38.  After going to the mall (which I was dreading), I decided to treat myself to a manicure and pedicure.  I hadn't had one in weeks and my fingers and toes were just gross!

Oh ya, and the dishwasher I tore apart to deep clean during Week #14 - we can't get it back together.  Nothing like hand washing dishes to make you want to get rid of every dish/pan you own and buy paper products.  



Here's a look at this week's outfits.  The weather turned colder (in the 50's), so it was time to break out the sweaters and boots.

Week #16:  Days #106-113

A major, major blessing and answer to prayer was received this week!  I'll be able to share in a few weeks, but it's safe to say, my funk has been lifted!  

So far, my Fall capsule wardrobe includes the following:

1.  White 3/4 sleeve top
2.  Goldenrod yellow short sleeve sweater
3.  Burnt orange sleeveless top 
4.  Burnt orange cardigan
5.  Magenta split-back long sleeve top
6.  Maroon/navy/white sleeveless print top
7.  Maroon short sleeve sweater top
8.  Maroon sweater with white bottom
9.  Mint/charcoal grey sweater
10.  Brown/charcoal grey sweater
11.  Grey/white split-back sweater
12.  Grey/off-white striped long sleeve shirt
13.  Grey short sleeve top
14.  Black/grey/toffee color blocked long sleeve top 
15.  Black long sleeve shirt
16.  Off-White skinny jeans
17.  Teal jeans
18.  Grey jeans
19.  Black dress pants
20.  Black skinny jeans
21.  Taupe flats
22.  Brown tall boots
23.  Grey Toms
24.  Black flats
25.  Black tall boots

The rest is all jewelry/accessories:
26.  Lia Sophia beveled paprika red necklace
27.  Lia Sophia grey/clear crystal Stanton earrings
28.  Lia Sophia beaded Savannah necklace
29.  Lia Sophia Acorn earrings
30.  Lia Sophia Christina's Joy necklace
31.  Lia Sophia Crystals and Cream necklace
32.  Lia Sophia Wisp necklace
33.  Lia Sophia Lush necklace
34.  Lia Sophia Lush earrings
35.  Lia Sophia Posey earrings 
36.  Rose gold colored watch
37.  Lia Sophia grey/crystal Astoria necklace
38.  Lia Sophia Flapper necklace
39.  Lia Sophia Coy earrings
40.  Origami Owl silver locket necklace
41.  Lia Sophia grey/orange/green Kauai necklace
42.  Blue Shattuckite Ring
43.  Rainbow Calsilica Earrings

As I mentioned previously, I'm week building it as I go, so I'll add to the list as I wear new pieces.  I'm also not limiting myself to just 33 pieces.  I am a jewelry lover, so for me, staying in the 45-50 piece range (jewelry included) is more feasible.  

Current Inventory - 10,408

Items Purged - 3014
Items Donated - 1341
Items Used - 803
Items Sold/Returned - 87 
TOTAL ITEMS ELIMINATED = 5245

(10408/15653) = 33.5% of items inventoried have been eliminated so far

Next week's goal:   Eliminate another 69 items 

Want to receive automatic notifications of new blog posts?  Subscribe to my blog by entering your e-mail address to the right.  It's that easy!  :)  Happy decluttering!

XOXO,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment