Saturday, September 5, 2015

PROJECT JUNKIE TO BECOMING MINIMALIST - 7 Weeks In/Project 333 Update

The goal I set for this week was simple:  Purge 69 items (the minimum number needed for the week to meet my annual goal of eliminating 50% of my belongings) and if I go over that, great!

For those of you who missed last week's blog, let me recap:

I was searching the internet for more minimalist blogs and stumbled across something called Project 333.  It's basically where you choose 33 items including clothing, accessories, jewelry, outerwear, and shoes and wear only those 33 items for 3 months at a time.  I watched this YouTube video of the Dutch woman in the blue dress at the bottom and it just resonated with me (much like when I found my first minimalism blog).  

What's NOT included in the 33 - Wedding rings or other sentimental jewelry that you never take off, underwear, sleep wear, in-home lounge wear, and workout clothing (you can only wear your workout clothing to workout)

I went straight to my bedroom and made my list of 33 items (which ended up getting tweaked a little).  Of the items that made the cut, I turned those hangers around backwards so I can see what (if anything) I didn't wear at the end of those 33 days.

Here's what made the cut:

Bottoms:
1.  White denim Capri pants
2.  Regular (dark denim) jeans
3.  Grey stretchy jeans
4.  Black dress pants
5.  Dark charcoal grey dress pants


Tops:
6. White 3/4 sleeve top
7.  White & navy "rope design" 3/4 length sleeve shirt
8.  Fuschia pink short sleeve top
9.  Burnt orange sleeveless top
10.  Goldenrod yellow top
11.  Solid grey GAP long-sleeve top
12.  Navy/blue sleeveless top
13.  Navy solid 3/4 sleeve top
14.  Black short sleeve top

Cardigans:
15.  Navy cardigan
16.  Black/white striped cardigan
17.  Black stretchy dressy cardigan
18.  Burnt orange cardigan

Shoes:
19.  Black wedges
20.  Brown boots
21.  Platinum Sperry's
22.  Blush flats
23.  Grey TOMS
24.  Black flats

Accessories:
25.  Black/silver infinity scarf
26.  Lia Sophia goldenrod/green/blue/silver long beaded necklace
27.  Lia Sophia acorn earrings
28.  Silver watch
29.  Black/white/silver long necklace
30.  Silver/clear crystal dangle earrings

I still have 3 items left to add over the next few months, which is nice.  When you're only working with a limited number of pieces, I'm sure one new item will be exciting!

Saturday - Day #43

Had an 8 am hair appointment this morning.  Developed a splitting headache during the appointment and ended up coming home and going back to bed until 2 pm.  That's definitely NOT how I envisioned spending my Saturday!  Woke up and did some laundry and purged some items from my bedroom that I had pulled from my closet last week during my clothing selection.  

Sunday - Day #44

I haven't mentioned eBay for a while.  The Lord has really blessed me on that sales front!  So far over the past 7 weeks, I've sold 71 items thru them and netted $547.97.  I'm not getting rich by any means, but it's nice to get rid of things AND recoup some of the money I had spent on these items for doing it!  

Monday - Day #45

By now you know that I like to wake up and purge things first thing.  Today was no different.  I grabbed some nail polish and an unopened face cleanser (travel size) and took them to work and gave them away.

This was my outfit for the day:



Today was in the 80's and really humid.  This outfit was perfect for that!  This top is sooo comfortable and stretchy and it's sleeveless, so the cardigan came off when I was outside.

Stopped and got a 75 minute massage on my way home from work.  Definitely brightened my Monday!  Had to stop and buy some packing tape for my eBay sales also.  That's the only expense I've had this week so far outside of food at lunch time and gas for my car.

Tuesday - Day #46

Another really hot, humid day, but it's freezing in the office.  So, this was what I wore:



I mentioned this last week, but I'm trying to wear that white, nautical shirt as many times as I can before the end of September to make it worth the clothing slot it's filling.  I changed up the pants and shoes I wore with it though this time.  I'm trying to see how long I can go without wearing the same outfit.

On my way in to work, I stopped off at Goodwill and donated another 63 items.  It made me so happy to drop those items off and get them out of my house!!

After work, I came home and did some more purging.  By the end of the day, the number of items purged for the week was 67 items, which almost met my goal. 

Wednesday - Day #47

Today started off wild!  I received a call shortly after I woke up from one of my staff and had to run out the door to deal with a work situation.  It was close to 90 degrees and VERY humid today, so item #31 entered my wardrobe - a pair of knee-length white shorts.  I paired it with my pink short sleeve cotton top and threw on my Sperry's and was off!  I was in such a hurry to leave I didn't get to take a photo.

After work, we went to my nephew's baseball game and then had dinner with my brother-in-law and in-laws.  It was really nice since we hadn't seen them for a while.  

Thursday - Day #48

I forgot to take a photo of today's outfit as well.  Sorry!  My owner and I had a presentation to do today though, so I paired the goldenrod yellow sweater with my grey dress pants and black dress shoes.  After work, I went to my parent's house and spent the evening visiting with them and my baby nephew.  Since I had met my goal for the week purge-wise this morning (just by using things), I didn't feel guilty and it was GREAT!!

Friday - Day #49

Here's today's "casual Friday" look:


Have I mentioned these grey jean/legging pants from Express feel like wearing pajama pants?!  Color-wise, I wish they were darker so they're more flattering on, but they're still versatile enough to be able to pair with almost every top I selected to be part of my 33 items.  

Came home, watched some US Open Tennis, and did some more purging.

Totals for this Week:

Current Inventory - 10,590

Items Purged - 2788
Items Donated - 1014
Items Used - 424
Items Sold/Returned - 76 
TOTAL ITEMS ELIMINATED = 4302

(4302/14892) = 28.8% of items inventoried have been eliminated so far

Next week's goal:   Last week I decided I didn't want to stress about focusing on a number of items to purge for the week above the minimum number needed to make my annual goal (69 items) and then if I went over that, great!  It ended up working out really well and I purged 98 items total (and was able to enjoy time with my friends and family without feeling guilty).  I'm going to do the same for next week and make my goal 69 items again.  I'm also making it my goal to go thru this box of items that's been sitting on my kitchen chair for the past 2 weeks and decide what stays/goes.  Regardless, that box is going to be gone!

Hope you all had a nice week!  Any new discoveries that have resonated with you like becoming minimalist and Project 333 have with me?


XOXO,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment