Sunday, September 13, 2015

PRODUCT JUNKIE TO BECOMING MINIMALIST - 2 MONTHS IN/PROJECT 333 UPDATE!

The goal I set for this week was simple:  Purge 69 items (the minimum number needed for the week to meet my annual goal of eliminating 50% of my belongings) and if I go over that, great!

Saturday - Day #50

College football is back and I am a happy, happy camper!  Even though my team doesn't play until Monday night, the sound of the Game Day theme song was like a Christmas Carol to my ears!



While I was watching Game Day, I began tackling the items I mentioned in the kitchen (the box actually had a bag sitting on top of it as well that I had forgot about).  The bag is from the garage and was full of photos, office supplies, and random items from vacation back in 2010.  The box itself was full of random items I wasn't sure what to do with when I was doing my original inventory.  Most of the items ended up in the trash or being recycled.  By the end of the day, I had surpassed my goal of eliminating 69 items for the week.  Who-hoo!!

I did end up purchasing some tops from Fabletics (the Kate Hudson athletic wear brand).  


The downside to subscribing to a brand/subscription where you either have to choose to make a purchase or hit "skip a month" is that when you log on, you see their products and it's tempting to buy something.  This shirt is really cute though and it's something I'll wear at home/around the house a lot.  At $29.95, it's reasonably priced too.



They also had this top in a new purple color ($19.95).  I already own it in navy and black and LOVE it!!



The grey version was back in stock too, so I ordered it as well.  (I wish they had it in red too)!  They're so great because they're flattering and comfortable on.  They can be dressed up with black pants and a statement necklace or worn casually around the house too.  I tend to wear them on days where I feel bloated or just want to feel relaxed.



Since I spent over $49.95, I got this shrug for $10.49.  I have this shrug in cobalt blue and wear it all the time!  I've been wanting the black version so I don't have to wear a similar, dressier work one when I'm home as well.  The dressier one (that's one of my 33 items) is starting to wear out because I wear it so much (usually 3-4 times/week).  

All in all, I spent $80.34 on 4 tops that I'll wear for years to come, so that was worth it.

Sunday - Day #51

Last week, I came across this blog and discovered the idea of going thru every possession you own, holding it in your hand, and only keeping it if evokes a sense of joy when holding it in your hands.  I tried to do that last week, but by the time I got home from work on Tuesday and Friday, I was stressed and tired and didn't feel like I could really "tune in" to my feelings.  I like the concept overall though.  If it makes you happy - keep it.  If not, get rid of it.  Simple enough, right?!

So, I spent the day watching US Open Tennis, doing laundry, and purging items.  So far, I'm up to 136 items eliminated for the week, and it's only two days in.  Who-hoo!!  I'm trying to motivate myself to put things on eBay but so far, only one item has made it on there.  

I will say that as I went through my necklaces this morning, I missed being able to wear them (due to Project 333).  I've always said to my friends/family that you don't need to buy new clothes all the time because pairing a different necklace/earrings/bracelet with it can give your existing items a completely new feel.  I LOVE a good statement necklace!  However, with Project 333, I only included two necklaces in addition to the one my husband got me for our wedding and two pairs of earrings to wear.  I think I'm going to have to make the matching earrings/necklace (and ring/bracelet if there is one) into a set and count them as one.  Otherwise, I may not make it 3 months with these same items.  I used to sell Lia Sophia for crying out loud!  I need my jewelry!  #firstworldproblems  

So, now my Project 333 list looks like this:

Bottoms:
1.  White denim Capri pants
2.  Regular (dark denim) jeans
3.  Grey stretchy jeans
4.  Black dress pants
5.  Dark charcoal grey dress pants
6.  White knee-length shorts


Tops:
7. White 3/4 sleeve top
8.  White & navy "rope design" 3/4 length sleeve shirt
9.  Fuschia pink short sleeve top
10.  Burnt orange sleeveless top
11.  Goldenrod yellow top
12.  Solid grey GAP long-sleeve top
13.  Navy/blue sleeveless top
14.  Navy solid 3/4 sleeve top
15.  Black short sleeve top

Cardigans:
16.  Navy cardigan
17.  Black/white striped cardigan
18.  Black stretchy dressy cardigan
19.  Burnt orange cardigan

Shoes:
20.  Black wedges
21.  Brown boots
22.  Platinum Sperry's
23.  Blush flats
24.  Grey TOMS
25.  Black flats

Accessories:
26.  Black/silver infinity scarf
27.  Lia Sophia Savannah necklace, Acorn earrings & Spiceberry ring set
28.  Silver watch
29.  Black/white/silver long necklace & Silver/clear crystal dangle earrings
30.  Lia Sophia Masquerade necklace, Coy earrings, & Jenny ring



So far, the only things I haven't worn are the navy 3/4 length sleeve top, burnt orange top and cardigan sweater.  Now that I added the #30 jewelry set to the mix, I'm excited to wear the navy top next week with my white capri pants!  I'll probably start wearing the orange pieces in late September just due to the color.  Since the top has gold shimmery detailing on it, I'll add the #31 jewelry set when I'm ready to wear it.


Monday - Day #52

Today is a work holiday (thank you Lord)!  I spent the day purging more items, which was great!  I went through that box that was in the kitchen, so that goal is met for the week!

Tuesday - Day #53

My boss and I had a presentation today at a local County Board, so dress clothes were in order for work.  Here's what I wore:


Item #32 entered the wardrobe.  I LOVE this top from The Limited!  It's marled black and white and the back actually is split with the ivory fabric flowing loosely.  It is so comfortable and flattering!  I debated on adding this piece since I started Project 333 and finally did it.  

Came home and stress shopped online.  I bought 4 tops and 2 pairs of pants for Fall.  For the past two months, I've been purging when I'm stressed versus buying anything.  Today I snapped though.  I've gone thru my Fall/Winter clothes numerous times over the past eight weeks and know what I have.  There's two sweaters I know I'll wear that I love, but other than that, nothing really excited me.  The magenta top is the same style as the black/white top I added today, so as long as the fabric isn't too sheer, it will become a Fall wardrobe staple.  I love the goldenrod color too of the second top I bought and it will be great for layering, so I can't wait to wear it either!  I did need a pair of new black jeans, so buying those was a no-brainer.  I also like to wear colorful items, so the teal jeans will be fun for Fall too!  The total for these six items was $214.88, which I think is reasonable considering it included two new pairs of jeans.


Wednesday - Day #54

Another meeting at a different County board today and I wore the golden rod yellow top with the black pants from yesterday and my black wedges.  Forgot to take the picture though.

Came home and the water filter contraption in the basement had cracked and was spraying water all over the basement wall/floor.  Thankfully the damage was minimal, but now we're going to have to replace it.  No automatic ice cubes or water from the refrigerator for a while until we do.  The joys of home ownership!  

Thursday - Day #55

Office day today at work.  Decided it was time to wear that navy shirt I hadn't worn yet.



The necklace and earrings I added to my 33 items list on Sunday was a good call!  It looked really cute with this outfit!   

Friday - Day #56


I had another meeting this morning that I had to be dressed up for.  This was a good "Casual Friday" outfit that was comfortable, yet professional.  My best friend and her husband came up from out of town after work to stay with us for the weekend.  This outfit also turned into my going out for dinner outfit too.  

I'm so glad I focused on purging over the weekend and on Monday because the rest of the week was mainly work, work, work.  After eight weeks, I've officially purged 30% of my belongings.  It's crazy to think of where I started (trying to count everything and feeling so overwhelmed by the prospect of this project) versus where I am now.  I'm not perfect by any means (as evidenced by the Fabletics and Limited purchases this week), but overall, I've stuck to my plan of downsizing really well!  

My advice to anyone who is thinking of beginning this process is to JUST START and chip away at your inventory and then chip away at purging.  Make some mini, attainable goals and do everything in your power to meet them each week.  Some people downsize more quickly and some people (like me) like to spread the process out a bit more and do it gradually.  There's no right way.  You'll never finish though if you don't at least start!  YOU CAN DO THIS!! 

Totals for this Week:

Current Inventory - 10,484

Items Purged - 2902
Items Donated - 1104
Items Used - 448
Items Sold/Returned - 77 
TOTAL ITEMS ELIMINATED = 4531 (229 eliminated this week)

(4531/15015) = 30.1% of items inventoried have been eliminated so far

Next week's goal:   Eliminate another 69 items again.  It's going to be a bit more challenging this next week since we have plans all weekend and I'm not going to be able to focus on purging.  I'll make it happen though.  I'd also like to get through a clothes basket of items that has already been inventoried that's sitting in my spare bedroom and either put away or purge the items in it.

Want to follow along on this journey with me?  Subscribe to this blog and don't miss a post!  (I usually post 1-2 times weekly at the most).  

XOXO,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment