Saturday, August 22, 2015

PRODUCT JUNKIE to MINIMALIST - Week #5

The goal I set for this week was simple:  Hit the 4000 mark for items eliminated (either thru purging, donating, using, or selling).  

Saturday - Day #29

Started the morning off with a trip to the grocery store.  I had three things on my list (kitty litter, Draino, and razors), but then realized we were out of a few more things once I got there.



I hadn't grocery shopped for two weeks and this was all I/we really needed.  (The four jugs of kitty litter stayed downstairs since they weigh 20 lbs a piece and I didn't feel like lugging them up the stairs for the photo).  Buying the jug of coffee ended up being cheaper in the long run than stopping in the morning on my way to work to buy it since I always end up buying food too.   Now I can eat a banana instead or a bowl of cereal with my coffee at the house.  We were completely out of cheese and fruit, so those were fine to buy.  I'm going to try to wean myself off my US Weekly magazine addiction until I read all the magazines I currently have at least, but so far, that hasn't happened.  (Although since I'm only shopping bi-weekly now, I don't buy them every week anymore).  The total cost of these items was $74.97.  That's WAY below the old overage of $100-$115 per week that I used to spend.

Came home and photographed items to put on eBay since their free listing promo runs through tomorrow.  Put 11 more pieces on the site before the day was over and sold 2 shirts.  Yeah!!  

Sunday - Day #30

Woke up and photographed/put 21 more items on eBay.  Sold 4 items, so I packaged those out to ship out in the morning.  We had some company over, I did some laundry, and that pretty much consumed the day.  Tomorrow, it's back to work!  

Monday - Day #31

Back to work today!  Once I got thru my 181 e-mails and dealt with all the regular day-to-day goings on of a company that supports individuals with disabilities, it was time to go home and I was EXHAUSTED!!  I packaged up items that sold on eBay, watched a baseball game with my husband, and then zonked out for the night!

Tuesday - Day #32

Another busy, busy day at work.  Came home and packaged up an item that sold on eBay today while I was working, took a shower, and watched another baseball game on TV.  I know I should be listing more things on eBay, but I just don't have it in me.  Instead I logged what I used yesterday and today (including throwing a purse away that I had been carrying that was pretty beat up, and the daily things that get consumed like fruit I ate, contact solution I used up, packing tape I used up, etc.).  My goal was to hit 4000 items eliminated this week.  So far I'm at 3925.  Go me!  Only 75 more items to go before the end of the week.  Yeah!!  

I keep getting urges just to bundle up everything in front of me and donate it, which is a good sign.  My mind set truly has changed over the past 32 days.  I'm not even tempted to online shop anymore.  I logged on to the Limited website the other day to get a retail value for a shirt I bought and looked at their clothes and didn't have the urge to buy ANYTHING!  After all, I have all I need and more already!  I'm so grateful for this journey that began just over a month ago!!    

Wednesday - Day #33

I woke up this morning and set a simple goal - eliminate 5 items from my bedroom before getting ready for work.  It only took me about 10 minutes and I had found 15 items to get rid of.  2 decorations, a slip, a pair of heavy tights, a body slimmer, and a pair of shoe strings all went into the "Goodwill Donation" crate.  5 clothing items, a purse, and 2 decorations went into the "put on eBay" pile, and 1 decoration went straight into the trash.  Who-hoo!!

I sold a top while I was sleeping, so I wrapped it up and shipped it out this morning.  

On my way to work, I dropped off the overflowing crate of donations to Goodwill and it took less than 30 seconds.  Double who-hoo for the day!!

After work, I decided to go thru a 5-gallon crate of items left over from a garage sale last year to see what would go on eBay and what would be donated to Goodwill or go to the trash.  There were over 30 old Lia Sophia look books in there that went straight to the recycling and almost put me to my 4000 items purged goal.  I'm only 2 items away from hitting that mark and I'm so excited!  I will find additional items to get rid of and hit that number TONIGHT!  Yeah!  GOAL MET!!  (Did I mention setting attainable goals is a good way to keep yourself motivated)?    

Thursday - Day #34



This advertisement was in my e-mail inbox yesterday.  It's from Express and they're trying to convince me (and the rest of their subscribers) that we need to wear blankets as cover-ups this fall.  It's cute and all, but lucky for me, I have plenty of blankets I can bring from home if I get cold at work this Fall/Winter.  Ha!!  #thanksbutnothanks

On a more serious note, I woke up and purged another 21 items from my bedroom.  This time, I decided to go through my earrings and bracelets before getting ready for work.  Out of my earrings, 3 pairs went to the trash, 1 pair is going to my sister, 10 pairs are going onto eBay, and 1 pair was donated.  1 necklace and 5 bracelets are also headed to eBay (hopefully this weekend).  

Friday - Day #35

My husband and I met his brother and his brother's wife out for a drink after work and then we came home and went to bed early.  Another week in the books!  Praise the Lord!!  

Totals for this Week:

Current Inventory - 10,628

Items Purged - 2714
Items Donated - 932
Items Used - 317
Items Sold/Returned - 60

TOTAL ITEMS ELIMINATED = 4023

(4023/14654) = 27.4% of items inventoried have been eliminated so far

Next week's goal:  Get the two crates of decorations in the hallway inventoried and eliminate another 177 items (to bring the total eliminated to 4200 even).

Have a blessed week everyone!

XOXO,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment